[gambit-list] homogeneous vector performance

Bradley Lucier lucier at math.purdue.edu
Mon Dec 13 15:13:54 EST 2004

On Dec 11, 2004, at 4:14 PM, dev null wrote:

> I've been playing around with implementations of simple algorithms in
> C and gambit scheme, trying to get some idea of the latter's
> usefulness for some of my scientific computing.

My experience is that once you have problems that don't fit in first or
second-level cache, the speed is the same for scientific computing.
See

http://www.math.purdue.edu/~lucier/615/software/

Also, if you're using gcc, the following options may improve the
performance of code generated by Gambit:

-O1 -fno-math-errno -fschedule-insns2 -fno-trapping-math
-fno-strict-aliasing -fomit-frame-pointer

(These options are chosen by configure when building gambit.)  You may
need the -fno-strict-aliasing for correctness of the compiled code.  In
my experience code compiled with -O2 goes slower.

Brad